Canadian Education System
What is Student Direct Stream (SDS) Program ?
Indian students can get their study permits faster by using the Student Direct Stream. If your application is complete, it can be started reviewing by Immigration right away
SDS Program Requirements
Students applying for a program under SDS must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Admission to a full-time program in a publicly-funded post-secondary institution such as universities, colleges, institutes or CEGEP;
- An IELTS score with a minimum band of 6 for each ability (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) taken within past two years;
- Purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from Scotiabank of CAD$10,000 to cover living expenses for the first year of stay in Canada;
- Proof of payment of the tuition fee for one (1) year; AND
- Upfront medical examination at least one week before submission of the application.
Advantages of applying under SDS
The major advantages of applying under SDS are:
The streamlined visa process for all SDS eligible institutions.
- Less financial documentation.
- Faster visa processing time.
Canada’s New Biometrics – Here’s What You Need to Know
From July 31, 2018, fingerprints and a photo will become mandatory for people from Europe, the Middle East and Africa applying for a Canadian visitor visa, work or study permit, permanent residence or asylum in Canada.
Known as biometrics, the fingerprints and photo will be required for the identification purpose of the applicants. The same requirement will be extended to Asia, Asia-Pacific and the Americas on December 31, 2018.
The Government of Canada states that the collection of biometrics will facilitate application processing and ease entry into Canada for low-risk travellers.
All travellers between the age of 14 and 79 must provide biometric information, except in asylum cases which have no upper age limit.
The process of providing your biometric information only takes a few minutes and costs CAD $85 for an individual.
How long is biometrics valid?
If you are applying for a visitor visa or work/study permit, you are required to give your biometrics once every 10 years. However, if you have an application refused and you later re-apply, you will be required to renew your biometrics.