Skip to content

Common-Law Partner Visa

As per the Common-Law Partner visa, Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents are entitled to sponsor their common-law partner and (eligible) dependent children. This visa permits the applicants to be sponsored if they have been residing with their qualifying Canadian partners for one (1) year or more in a continuing relationship with an intention to live together in Canada.

On approval, the Canadian partner must be agreeable to live in Canada with the applicant, besides being capable of supporting the applicant without any access to public funds. Once approved, the common-law partner will be allowed to enjoy permanent residence and the right to join their sponsoring partner in Canada.

Common-Law Partner Visa Basic Requirements
This visa is applicable for both same-sex and opposite sex couples. In order to apply for the Common-Law Partner visa, applicants should be able to produce authentication of an ongoing and genuine relationship. They should be able to establish that the sponsor and the applicant have been residing together at a common address for at least 1 year, in Canada.
The sponsor should agree to sign an undertaking stating to provide for all of the applicant’s basic needs for at least 3 years from the partner’s arrival to Canada. Undergoing health and character checks prior to the arrival is mandatory for all common-law partners.

Common-Law Partner Visa Entitlements
Common-law partners, enjoying the permanent residence under the Family Class are entitled to live, study, and work in Canada for an indefinite period (until further notice). They have the access to Canadian government-funded health care, language training programs, subsidized education and assistance with employment. Further they are also eligible for benefits that make them eligible for Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan Benefits and Guaranteed Income Supplement. Additionally, it also allows the visa holders to participate in retirement plans such as Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP). They may also apply for Canadian citizenship.

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions!!

Q1. What is a Canada Immigration Visa?

It is a document that permits a person to work and live in one of the Canadian province or territory. It comes with several responsibilities and may be revoked in case the holder does not obey the Canadian residency obligations or is found guilty of conducting criminal activities in the country.

Q2. When can I obtain citizenship of Canada?

The Canadian Citizenship can typically be obtained after a period of three years of Permanent residence in Canada.

Q3. What is a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

A Canadian Permanent Resident Card is a small, secured plastic card which contains the cardholder’s personal details and confirms the holder’s status as a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Q4. Is dual citizenship recognized in Canada?

Yes. Since 1977, the Canadian country has permitted its citizens to hold multiple or dual citizenship. This means that a citizen of Canada will not lose his/her Canadian citizenship in case he/she retains his/her native nation’s citizenship.

Q5. What is the Canadian Experience Class Program?

The Canadian Experience Class Program is an immigration category that permits temporary international workers to work in the country with a Permanent Resident Visa of Canada.

Q6. What is a Provincial Nominee program?

  • The Provincial Nominee program was instituted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to permit different provinces and territories of Canada to select individuals who have required skills and experience for filling in the position of work which cannot be done by existing workforce in Canada and further contribute to the economic development of the country. Most territories and provinces within the country take part in the Provincial Nominee programs.

Q7. Can an individual apply for a Temporary Work Permit and a Canada Immigration Visa?

Yes. An individual can apply only for a Temporary Work Permit or in combination with an application for an immigration visa. CIC recognizes dual intent, whereby an individual can work in Canada on temporary basis and thereafter live and work in the country permanently.

Q8. Do students need a student visa for pursuing a short term course?

The need for a student visa majorly depends on the length of the course. If the course duration is less than six months, then there is no need for a student visa. However, if the course duration is more than six months, you must apply for a student visa.

Q9. Is there an eligibility occupation list under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category?

  • No, there is no eligibility occupation list prevalent at this time under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category. Applicants of this category must have a minimum one year work experience in the last 10 years in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) code types O, A and B.
Back To Top