Skip to content

Spousal Sponsorship Visa

The main objective behind introducing the Family Class Visa stream by the Government of Canada has been to help families reunite. The Family Class Visa allows citizens and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor their spouse, parents, dependent children dependent grandchildren or dependent grandparents to gain permanent residence in Canada.
The Spousal Sponsorship program is a sub-category of the Family Class immigration stream that allows citizens and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for Canadian permanent residency.
To receive a Spouse Visa through this immigration program, the sponsor (citizen or permanent resident of Canada) and applicant (sponsored person) must demonstrate their relationship to be one of three categories:

  • Spouse
  • Common-law Partner
  • Conjugal Partner

It is important for both the sponsor and the applicant to be approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to receive the Spouse Visa for Canada.
NOTE: Canada recognizes same-sex marriage and therefore, same-sex partners are eligible to apply under this category provided they meet all eligibility requirements.

Eligibility requirements for the Sponsor –
In order to qualify as a sponsor, one must: –

  • be 18 years or above in age
  • be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • not have been in prison, be bankrupt, under a removal order (in case of a permanent resident) or have charged with a serious offence.
  • not have been sponsored to Canada as a spouse within a span of last five years.

A person may not qualify to be a sponsor if they:

  • have failed to provide financial support to a previously sponsored commitment,
  • are under the age of 18 years,
  • were already married to someone else at the of their marriage to the applicant,
  • have lived separately and one of the two has been in a conjugal or common-law relationship with a third person,
  • immigrated to Canada and the applicant must have, but was not examined by CIC, and
  • have an existing sponsorship agreement which stands valid at the time of filing another sponsorship application to CIC.

After Sponsorship
There are certain rules and regulations associated with permanent residency granted under Spousal Sponsorship program. These include:-

  • The sponsor must be financially sound to sponsor the applicant, for a minimum period of three years after the applicant has gained a permanent resident status in Canada.
  • Those who go to the Canadian state as spouses are not allowed to sponsor a spouse in turn for five years post receiving their permanent residency in Canada.
  • A two-year legal relationship regulation stands valid in case of spouses/partners who have been in a relationship for two years or less and who bear no children in common with their sponsor at the time of submitting the application. Once in Canada, the applicant must live with his/her spouse/partner in a lawful relationship a minimum of two years, or are subject to facing the possibility of having their Permanent Residency revoked.
  • Sponsored spouses or partners who face abuse or neglect are exceptions to these rules and regulations.

If you are planning to apply for the Canadian Spousal Visa, then we are right people to contact to. At WWICS, we are backed by a team of expert consultants with years of experience in the field of global resettlement procedures and visa processes. Our consultants will guide you through the entire immigration process, inform you about the processing times and help gain permanent residency in Canada in the shortest possible time.

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions!!

Q1. What is a Canada Immigration Visa?

It is a document that permits a person to work and live in one of the Canadian province or territory. It comes with several responsibilities and may be revoked in case the holder does not obey the Canadian residency obligations or is found guilty of conducting criminal activities in the country.

Q2. When can I obtain citizenship of Canada?

The Canadian Citizenship can typically be obtained after a period of three years of Permanent residence in Canada.

Q3. What is a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

A Canadian Permanent Resident Card is a small, secured plastic card which contains the cardholder’s personal details and confirms the holder’s status as a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Q4. Is dual citizenship recognized in Canada?

Yes. Since 1977, the Canadian country has permitted its citizens to hold multiple or dual citizenship. This means that a citizen of Canada will not lose his/her Canadian citizenship in case he/she retains his/her native nation’s citizenship.

Q5. What is the Canadian Experience Class Program?

The Canadian Experience Class Program is an immigration category that permits temporary international workers to work in the country with a Permanent Resident Visa of Canada.

Q6. What is a Provincial Nominee program?

  • The Provincial Nominee program was instituted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to permit different provinces and territories of Canada to select individuals who have required skills and experience for filling in the position of work which cannot be done by existing workforce in Canada and further contribute to the economic development of the country. Most territories and provinces within the country take part in the Provincial Nominee programs.

Q7. Can an individual apply for a Temporary Work Permit and a Canada Immigration Visa?

Yes. An individual can apply only for a Temporary Work Permit or in combination with an application for an immigration visa. CIC recognizes dual intent, whereby an individual can work in Canada on temporary basis and thereafter live and work in the country permanently.

Q8. Do students need a student visa for pursuing a short term course?

The need for a student visa majorly depends on the length of the course. If the course duration is less than six months, then there is no need for a student visa. However, if the course duration is more than six months, you must apply for a student visa.

Q9. Is there an eligibility occupation list under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category?

  • No, there is no eligibility occupation list prevalent at this time under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category. Applicants of this category must have a minimum one year work experience in the last 10 years in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) code types O, A and B.
Back To Top