Skip to content

Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC)

The Federal Skilled Trades class is one of the federal economic immigration programs designed for qualified, experienced tradespersons from around the world who want to become permanent residents of Canada.

Prior to 2015, Federal Skilled Trades applications were managed on a first-come, first-served basis. However, since 2015 applications are processed under the Express Entry system.



In order to qualify under Federal Skilled Trades Program, candidates must: 

  • have at least 2 years of full-time work experience or an equal amount of part-time work experience in a skilled trade within the last 5 years;
  • have a valid full-time LMIA approved offer of employment for a period of at least 1 year or hold a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority;
  • meet the required English and/or French language proficiency level for each language ability (speaking, reading, listening, and writing). The required minimum English proficiency levels are Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and CLB 4 for reading and writing; whereas the required minimum French proficiency levels are Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC) 5 for Speaking and listening and NCLC 4 for Reading and writing; and
  • meet the job requirements for eligible skilled trade occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification  


The Federal Skilled Trades Class process 

Step 1: Ensure you fulfill all eligibility criteria

Step 2: Create an Express Entry profile

Step 3: Receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence

Step 4: Complete a medical exam with an IRCC-recognized panel physician & provide police clearance certificate and submit an e-application

Step 5: Receive confirmation of permanent resident status and reach Canada

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions!!

Q1. What is a Canada Immigration Visa?

It is a document that permits a person to work and live in one of the Canadian province or territory. It comes with several responsibilities and may be revoked in case the holder does not obey the Canadian residency obligations or is found guilty of conducting criminal activities in the country.

Q2. When can I obtain citizenship of Canada?

The Canadian Citizenship can typically be obtained after a period of three years of Permanent residence in Canada.

Q3. What is a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

A Canadian Permanent Resident Card is a small, secured plastic card which contains the cardholder’s personal details and confirms the holder’s status as a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Q4. Is dual citizenship recognized in Canada?

Yes. Since 1977, the Canadian country has permitted its citizens to hold multiple or dual citizenship. This means that a citizen of Canada will not lose his/her Canadian citizenship in case he/she retains his/her native nation’s citizenship.

Q5. What is the Canadian Experience Class Program?

The Canadian Experience Class Program is an immigration category that permits temporary international workers to work in the country with a Permanent Resident Visa of Canada.

Q6. What is a Provincial Nominee program?

  • The Provincial Nominee program was instituted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to permit different provinces and territories of Canada to select individuals who have required skills and experience for filling in the position of work which cannot be done by existing workforce in Canada and further contribute to the economic development of the country. Most territories and provinces within the country take part in the Provincial Nominee programs.

Q7. Can an individual apply for a Temporary Work Permit and a Canada Immigration Visa?

Yes. An individual can apply only for a Temporary Work Permit or in combination with an application for an immigration visa. CIC recognizes dual intent, whereby an individual can work in Canada on temporary basis and thereafter live and work in the country permanently.

Q8. Do students need a student visa for pursuing a short term course?

The need for a student visa majorly depends on the length of the course. If the course duration is less than six months, then there is no need for a student visa. However, if the course duration is more than six months, you must apply for a student visa.

Q9. Is there an eligibility occupation list under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category?

  • No, there is no eligibility occupation list prevalent at this time under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category. Applicants of this category must have a minimum one year work experience in the last 10 years in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) code types O, A and B.
Back To Top